IamIraqi Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Beauty, Fitness, & Health > Cooking Cuisine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middle Eastern Cuisine ......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middle Eastern Cuisine ......
    Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 12:42am

Iraqi Kebab

Ingredients:

• 1-1/2 pounds Ground beef (about 675 grams)
  • 1 pound ground lamb with some ground fatty pieces - they will melt on the grill (about 500 grams)
  • 2 medium onions, grated
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated   
  • 6 - 8 medium tomatoes, whole, do not cut until ready to serve
  • 3 sweet Vidalia onions, cut in half 
  • 1/4 cup flour 
  • salt
  • black pepper  
  • 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/4 cup for meat and 1/4 cup to brush on tomatoes and onions
  • sumac 

Directions:

Combine beef, lamb, onions, garlic, flour, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup olive oil. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for 3 hours.

Divide the mixture into 15 portions, and slide each portion onto an inch-wide metal skewer. With moistened hands, press the meat until it is about 8 inches long; make small dents in the meat by pressing between the thumb and index finger.

Thread whole tomatoes on skewers. I like only 2 tomatoes per skewer. I think they grill better. Cut sweet Vidalia onions in half and thread 3 halves per skewer lengthwise. With a pastry brush, brush remaining 1/4 cup olive oil on tomatoes and onions ... tastes great plus prevents veggies from sticking to grill rack.

Prepare grill while meat chills in refrigerator.

Place skewered onions and tomatoes on grill. Grill for about 5 minutes before adding skewered meat to grill. Grill for about 10 minutes, turning to brown on both sides, and fanning most of the time to prevent the fire from flaring and burning the meat and veggies. 

Don't worry about the fat in the meat. The fat particles melt and drip during grilling, leaving behind small cavities, which give kebab its characteristic light texture.

Once meat and veggies are done, remove from grill and sprinkle kebab with sumac.

Serve and Enjoy!!!

Edited by Nada - 13 Aug 2008 at 12:54am
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water.

~~Eleanor Roosevelt
Nada View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 3:19am

Shish Tawook
Chicken Shish Kebab
Boneless chicken marinated in garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and grilled on skewers

Ingredients

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
3 gloves crushed or grated garlic
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon all spice
2 lemons, juiced
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparing

Cut the chicken into medium size cubes. In a small bowl mix the paprika, all spice, salt and pepper.

In a medium glass bowl, layer the bottom with chicken cubes, drizzle some lemon juice and olive oil. Add crushed garlic to wet chicken. Sprinkle a pinch of dry seasoning mixture. Add another layer of chicken and repeat procedure. Continue to build layers until you have used all the chicken. Drizzle and sprinkle any remaining ingredients over the top layer and mix with a large spoon.

Cover glass bowl with plastic wrap and marinade the chicken cubes in the mixture for 4-5 hours or overnight.

When ready to cook, mix the chicken and allow to come to room temperature for about 20 minutes. Thread the chicken pieces on metal skewers. You can use wooden skewers, just be sure to soak them in cold water for 20 minutes before threading the chicken. Make sure the chicken pieces are firm on the skewers, but do not over crowd the skewer as it will prevent the chicken from cooking throughly. Disgard any marinade at the bottom of the bowl.

Prepare grill. It is a good idea to spray the grill rack with cooking spray; chicken tends to stick easily.

Then, simply grill until the meat begins to brown; turning often when grill marks begin to form.

Toom
Garlic Sauce

Ingredients:

6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons real mayonnaise
1 teaspoons salt
1 medium Russet potato, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup vegetable oil for frying

Directions:

Heat oil in shallow pan. Make sure the heat is low. Place potato slices in the pan and cook until potatoes turn golden on the outside and are still a bit uncooked on the inside. About 2 minutes on each side, but frying is different in everyone's kitchen. Try not to crowd the pan and use some type of splatter shield.

Remove potatoes from oil and allow to drain on paper towels. Once drained, place them in the food processor with all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice. This won't take long.

The mixture should be thick from the potatoes. Taste and add more salt if necessary.

Edited by Nada - 13 Aug 2008 at 3:58am
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water.

~~Eleanor Roosevelt
Nada View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 2:50pm

.............. Falafel ..............
This is my favorite Falafel recipe .... the dry red hot pepper spice gives it just the right taste.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup dried chickpeas or 1 (16 oz. can) chickpeas
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped 
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, chopped 
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry hot red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Oil for frying
  • Chopped tomato for garnish
  • Diced red onion for garnish
  • Diced green bell pepper for garnish
  • Lifet (Pickled turnips) recipe to follow in next post
  • Tahini sauce thinned with a few drops of water(Homemade recipe to follow in next post)

Preparation:

Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.

Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, cumin, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Add flour and baking powder.

Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.

Form the mixture into small balls, either by hand, with two spoons or using a falafel spoon, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes). Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel for a minute or two.

Serve hot. Garnish falafel platter with cut tomatoes, green bell peppers, red onion and turnips. Servce tahini on the side.

NOTE: As an alternative, falafel can be formed into patties and served like a burger. 

Edited by Nada - 18 Aug 2008 at 3:24pm

~~Eleanor Roosevelt
Nada View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 3:36pm

Homemade Tahini
(Sesame Seed Paste)

Tahini is readily available in stores across the US and in many countries.
I just like to make my own tahini and have found that this recipe is the best.
I have made it with both vegetable oil and olive oil and decided that I like if best with a combination of the two.

Ingredients:

• 5 cups sesame seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast sesame seeds for 5-10 minutes, stirring the seeds frequently with a spatula. Do not allow to brown. Cool for 20 minutes.

Pour sesame seeds into food processor and add oil. Blend for 2 minutes. Check for consistency. The goal is a thick, yet pourable texture. Add more oil and blend until desired consistency.

Makes about 4 cups

Homemade tahini should be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. It will keep for up to 3 months.

~~Eleanor Roosevelt
Nada View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 3:50pm

Tahini Sauce
Tahini sauce is different from Tahini paste (recipe above). Tahini sauce is a creamy sauce that includes tahini paste which
is typically combined with other ingredients and served with various dishes such as Falafel.

Tahini sauce is very easy to make. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will keep for about one week.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 3 gloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped

Preparation:

In a food processor, combine garlic and tahini paste. Add kosher salt.

Remove from food processor and add olive oil and lemon juice. If too thick, add a teaspoon of warm water until desired consistency.

Mix in parsely

Serve immediately or refrigerate.

~~Eleanor Roosevelt
Nasma3ira8ya View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
IamIraqi's cheerleader

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasma3ira8ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 12:23pm
Nada ur making me hungry..I want some Iraqi kabab nowUnhappy which means I have to go to MI.
ارحمو من في الأرض يرحمكم من في السماء
Nada View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 11:28am

Shish Kefta

Kefta tends to be dry sometimes, depending on the quality of the meat.
Strangely, the better the quality of the meat, the drier the kefta will be.
If you find that while grilling, the meat appears dry (doesn't have a shiny, moist coat),
feel free to brush the kefta with olive oil before removing from grill. The olive oil gives
the meat a rich taste. I often add olive oil to the raw meat mixture, only because after
making dry kefta a few times, I am able to identify if the meat would be dry after cooking.

Ingredients
1 lb. ground lean beef
1/2 lb. ground lamb
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 medium onions, grated
3 teaspoons of Arabic Seven Spices (Bokharat) ... (if you cannot find or make your own, use a combination of cumin, coriander and a few pinches of Allspice)  
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 2 hours to blend flavors.

Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to avoid burning on grill. If using metal skewers, no prep is needed.

Prepare barbecue grill.

Using about 1/4 cup mixture for eack kebab, mold into a sausage shape around skewers. Moistening your hands will help mold the meat mixture onto skewers. Taper ends to prevent meat from slipping off skewers during cooking. Place skewers on broiler rack 4 inches from heat source on grill or over hot coals.

Turn frequently to brown evenly until meat is done as desired, 10 minutes is plenty of time.

It is extremely easy to over-grill kefta. You do not have to char the meat. The meat on the skewers is not very thick ..... you do not need to grill for long.

Edited by Nada - 24 Sep 2008 at 8:09am

~~Eleanor Roosevelt
Nada View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Nasma3ira8ya Nasma3ira8ya wrote:

Nada ur making me hungry..I want some Iraqi kabab nowUnhappy which means I have to go to MI.

Awwwww ..... the joys of going to Michigan :)

Nasoomaaaa .... you just reminded me of the delicious smell of Kebab on Warren Avenue. I'm going with you!!!!   Embarrassed

~~Eleanor Roosevelt
Nasma3ira8ya View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
IamIraqi's cheerleader

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasma3ira8ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 4:00pm
lol ee wallah Nada..and that kabab place u mentioned is the same one my family normally goes toWink Yalla come with me..I'm sure it will be a great trip..but ur gonna have to driveTongue
ارحمو من في الأرض يرحمكم من في السماء
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic